Help! Lost backup, can only boot into recovery. Start Where?

Recovery for the Acer A500/A501

Re: Help! Lost backup, can only boot into recovery. Start Wh

Postby mrsvt » 12 Jan 2016, 19:03

I'm sorry that it took so long to come back to you. If you have CM12.1 V6, it means it's art and it can't be changed. FYI, 5.1.1 is Lollipop and 4.4.X is KitKat.

I still believe this problem is an application problem. I would do a factory reset (which can also be done in recovery) and reinstall each application one by one to find the incompatible one. If you can find it, maybe write to the application creator to have it fixed.

I think Thor also told us that 5.1.1 is still in beta state. Since 4.4.4 V23.1 version is currently the stable one, maybe you would like to try this one? With 4.4.4 V23.1, you can choose between Art and Dalvik.

I hope it helps.

MrSVT
mrsvt
Senior Owner

Reputation point: 18
Junior Owner

Postby Brownbailey » 17 Jan 2016, 13:42

mrsvt wrote:I'm sorry that it took so long to come back to you. If you have CM12.1 V6, it means it's art and it can't be changed. FYI, 5.1.1 is Lollipop and 4.4.X is KitKat.

I still believe this problem is an application problem. I would do a factory reset (which can also be done in recovery) and reinstall each application one by one to find the incompatible one. If you can find it, maybe write to the application creator to have it fixed.

I think Thor also told us that 5.1.1 is still in beta state. Since 4.4.4 V23.1 version is currently the stable one, maybe you would like to try this one? With 4.4.4 V23.1, you can choose between Art and Dalvik.

I hope it helps.

MrSVT

I've since found multiple apps that it has a problem with. One causes a reboot immediately upon trying to launch the app. There are a couple that come up with the message "Unfortunately 'appX' has stopped working" on launch. The spontaneous reboots are mostly happening within one particular app and it often reverts back to the default wallpaper on the second user. I think we'll just avoid using those apps.
The only other things I've noticed are:
1) that the area to swipe at the top of the screen seems awfully narrow or lags as it takes multiple attempts for menu to appear, and
2) it's not able to pick up or hold WiFi as strongly as it used to (solution was to start using WiFi extender in the house again)

Just wanted to check though that I've installed everything correctly where it's an Iconia A500, device is telling me now A501, and Google sees as a Picasso?

Sent from my A501 using Tapatalk
Brownbailey
Junior Owner

Reputation point: 0
Junior Owner

Postby Brownbailey » 01 Feb 2016, 23:23

Ok, so I've now got the tablet running TegraOwners OmniRom 4.4.4 v23.1

The app that was having trouble with CM is still having trouble in Omni, so he'll just not get to play that game.

I'd noticed with CM12 that the WiFi wasn't seeming to pick up as many networks, and kept dropping the connection, but it seemed somewhat solved with the extender/repeater. With Omni, it's seeing more networks, the signal still seems weaker, but it won't allow me to connect to the internet using the extender/repeater. I tried using a static IP and turned off the wifi optimization which stopped it from repeatedly dropping the connection, but still allows no internet connection.

The multiple users seems to be more stable on Omni than with CM.

Finding that many applications or processes have been crashing. "_____ has stopped working" Sometimes multiple 10-20 notifications at once, or the occasional spontaneous reboot (although not a full reboot as it seems to be much quicker).
I think it's possibly related to the gapps, but I'd downloaded from this site. I'd wiped everything cache, dalvik, data and reinstalled twice and hasn't seemed to make much of a difference. The highest number of multiple crashes happened when it reached low battery, 15 or 10%.
I'm pretty sure I wiped everything properly, installed it properly, gave everything time to settle, and didn't sign into any accounts until it had booted a couple of times.

I tried switching between art and dalvik. The apps that were sometimes crashing with CM wouldn't even open on art on Omni. Said something about it being experimental and not available at this time.

Showing again as A500, Google sees me now as just 'Android'.

Netflix occasionally does the screen flicker, where I have to exit, close and restart. Using the default kernel (v4.7a9?) I think.
Brownbailey
Junior Owner

Junior Owner

Postby Brownbailey » 03 Feb 2016, 23:08

It seems I spoke a little too soon. Just hours after my last post it spontaneously rebooted. I think it ran again for a little bit before doing it again. Got stuck in a reboot loop that had maybe a full min available to do things on the tablet before it would reboot again. I hadn't added any new apps or changed anything, but had noticed a notification earlier that the deskclock widget had been updated. I managed to go into the apps info and uninstall the update with no change. I then removed the widget entirely and it still continued to reboot. Somewhere in the first few reboots, it changed the wallpaper back to default again.

I went into recovery, wiped cache and dalvik and was going to reinstall Omni, but rebooted before doing so.

Now I can't boot into recovery. It says it's loading the kernel, and then ends with a black screen.
I'm assuming the only solution is to now go through apk, but my past attempts were entirely unsuccessful.
I'm using a Mac running OS 10.7.5 which shouldn't be too outdated to make it work, but I must have been missing something (a step or file) when I last tried. Any suggestions?
Brownbailey
Junior Owner

Junior Owner

Postby Brownbailey » 06 Feb 2016, 23:28

It seems that maybe OS 10.7.5 is too old. My parents have OSX El Capitan 10.11.1 which will run ADB and fastboot. I got them both installed and working I think on their computer. ADB devices doesn't show the tablet. Don't know if I'm doing it correctly or not in fastboot as it's not saying 'list of android devices' or anything like that, but doesn't appear to find the tablet either. Tried plugging in an unrooted LG cellphone, it was able to find it on ABD (once I enabled USB debugging), fastboot just says <waiting for any device>. Pretty sure it's enabled (or was) on the tablet.
Don't know what I'm doing wrong, or if this is all pointless unless I have access to Windows (which I don't).
Brownbailey
Junior Owner

Junior Owner

Postby spursdocia » 12 May 2016, 12:44

I still believe this problem is an application problem. I would do a factory reset (which can also be done in recovery) and reinstall each application one by one to find the incompatible one. If you can find it, maybe write to the application creator to have it fixed..
format /wipe data as well before a fresh install

this is awesome. Solve my problem, thanks
spursdocia
Junior Owner

Junior Owner

Previous

Return to Acer A500/A501 Recovery