A500 mod with Kali-Linux 1.0.7 and Android

Linux development for the Acer A500/A501

A500 mod with Kali-Linux 1.0.7 and Android

Postby KaijiKun » 18 Jul 2014, 03:52

Hello all,and thanks for all your work on our good old Iconia A50x's :)

Any how, I have an idea I am working on getting working. I do currently have a good Kali-Linux rootrfs full with wireless tools, but I am still having some kernel issues, I can boot to the shell and startx, but some stuff isnt working right yet wifi, and a good touch screen keyboard, etc... but here is the thing I want to do.. I would like to use nvflash and the flash.cfg file to move around and change some of the partitions, and what they are assigned to... I have experimented a little bit with changing the names, like AKB is now KLX for my Kali boot image, and I changed the sizes a little added a little to one partition, and removed the same amount from another, and so far it is working, and starts up :). My Plan if it works is this:

The current SOS will become MNU for just the menu.skrilax file, the current FLX will become KLX for the proper /boot/vmlinux & /boot/initrd.img files the what was AKB will become SOS for the recovery image, then leave the rest as they are for androids system.img and data.img, my 32G sd card is already /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 & /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 @ about 15G apiece, and the internal 16G is still /dev/block/fuse. But any how I havent done it yet, but once I have a proper 3.14 kernel with the right initrd.img built for Kali-Linux to run properly with the system.map, and whatever else I need to get it running I am hoping to give it a try and hopefully the device will still boot, and, also hopefully I can ID the partitions so that they will still be found properly by the device. Any how so far I have been using your guys digitx-thor kernels :) which have been working great on all so far but not quite for the full Kali- Image yet.... any how I have the full armhf kali-linux 1.0.7 image 6G ext4 partitioned file with about 2.3G of data on it. for the rootfs (the same image you can dl from Kali-Linux now then to get to the actual files in the image you need to skip past the first 2048 of the image (the boot sector) the image was meant to be written to a device with dd, but I needed to modify mine before I could write it to my a500 at mmcblk1p2. But any how you guys are so great at this dev stuff and I am just poking around to see what I can do :)

I could prob really use some help coming up with a kernel image and initrd that will load and run Kali, 1.0.7 is currently running 3.14, but none of the sources they have include the tegra2 files, The nvidia developer site has great kernel sources for a ton of tegra2 boards, harmony, ventana, trimslice, etc... and your digitx-thor source has the picasso board files, I know that your wizards could make it come together.

Well sop that is where I am with that, any one have any thoughts on it? Do you think it is possible to reasign the partitions? cuz the 100M FLX part would be an excelent place for multiple kernel images and full initram fs images.. But still any way I am pretty happy running android and linux boot available, and the ubuntu does work pretty good the way it is now, but I do really kind of want to have a good running Kali-Linux image on this tablet. oh well if it doesnt end up working out I will prob have to save up and by one of those Utilite Pro, or Trimslice mini armpc's to have extra portable kali-wireless tools :)

And also again Thanks guys for all the Awesome work you have done for this Tablet, Actually the A500 has way exceeded what I thought it would do a while ago, and now running KK TO-OmniROM v13 Android, and have an extra Linux Partition to boot :) ya its a goody old Tabby. Thanks
- Kaiji
"For my Family, Friends, & Self!"
KaijiKun
Junior Owner

Reputation point: 0
Junior Owner

Re: A500 mod with Kali-Linux 1.0.7 and Android

Postby KaijiKun » 18 Jul 2014, 23:48

Hi again :) well I ran make all using the tegra_picasso_defconfig and the gcc-arm-linux-gnueabihf-4.7 toolchain from the digetx-thor 3.14.0 picasso kernel source on bitbucket, I am about to give this thing a shot now... I will post how it goes sometime this weekend :D hopefully it goes good.

Thanks - Kaiji
KaijiKun
Junior Owner

Junior Owner

Postby datahead » 11 Aug 2014, 03:49

any news on this?
datahead
Junior Owner

Junior Owner

Postby KaijiKun » 12 Aug 2014, 04:32

datahead » 10 Aug 2014, 21:49 wrote:any news on this?

Well I am still playing around with this, but so far I am now using Ubuntu-Touch, and I have added some "Kali-Linux like" features from another distro called "Backbox Linux". Any way here is some info for getting Ubuntu Touch installed Ubuntu for devices. And then edit /etc/apt/sources.list to include the Backbox Linux Repository.

I am still working on the whole setup to have it working perfect. I have however also successfully changed the devices partition table names, and sizes to work better for :) I have much larger recovery, boot, and secondary boot parts, so that part of the project is great, but I still need some tweaking on the system. I have been just using the Thor-Digetx native kernel downloaded from here, thanks guys :)

my current set up is TO Android OmniRom, and Ubuntu Touch modified on my Linux PC in a chroot to include the wireless tools from Backbox with The Thor-Digetx Kernels, and The CWM 1.8.1 touch recovery (The Whole Recovery now fits on just the SOS.

I havent been actually putting a lot of time into this lately, just a little here and there when I can.

- Kaiji
KaijiKun
Junior Owner

Junior Owner

Postby thor2002ro » 12 Aug 2014, 04:50

why are you not talking this in the linux section? :)
I'll move it

++++++++++++
Samsung Galaxy Note - Drowned

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - Sold

Oppo R5s - Sold

LG V10 :)

Acer ICONIA A500 TAB WIFI Only
FW: Tegraowners 6.0 internal ROM
Recovery: touch recovery 2.0b

Asus Google Nexus 7 Wifi
FW: Tegraowners JB-MR2 ROM
++++++++++++
If I did something you liked HIT rep + button (: and Image $Image to BEER FUND
thor2002ro
Global moderator / Dev Team

Reputation point: 594
Junior OwnerJunior OwnerJunior OwnerJunior OwnerJunior OwnerJunior Owner

Postby KaijiKun » 12 Aug 2014, 05:40

thor2002ro » 11 Aug 2014, 22:50 wrote:why are you not talking this in the linux section? :)
I'll move it

Opps, sorry about putting this in the wrong place. Thank You for moving it :).

I will try not to misplace any more posts.

- Kaiji
KaijiKun
Junior Owner

Junior Owner

Return to Acer A500/A501 Linux