How to get Lubuntu And Android To See 2 Partition Ext SD

Linux development for the Acer A500/A501

Re: How to get Lubuntu And Android To See 2 Partition Ext SD

Postby darkchaos » 07 May 2013, 01:54

Hi I'm new here and followed all the steps and everything goes well but when I reboot second asks me localhost.localdomain kernel image and password from there that ago?? sorry use google translator
darkchaos
Junior Owner

Reputation point: 0
Junior Owner

Postby 10507 » 07 May 2013, 02:12

freightyard wrote:they are the files on lubuntu OP
just download them and make necessary changes - It's not difficult .
I doubt if you'll like Linux much if you can't do the basics like these mods.
They can even easily be done in Android.
It's Thor and Digetx's hard work and I don't think it would be right for me to post them with the minor modifications to the scripts.

I know what to do. At the moment, I don't have my PC with me to edit the files. I will wait till I have access to my PC.

Thanks for the help anyway.
Helpful Owner

Junior Owner

Postby freightyard » 07 May 2013, 02:38

or you can do it all in android - pc not absolutely needed
you can extract and zip with root explorer for instance and probably others from play store
and a simple editor to change the files .
pm me your email address if you're really stuck.
freightyard
Testers Group

Reputation point: 163
Junior OwnerJunior Owner

Postby freightyard » 07 May 2013, 02:46

darkchaos wrote:Hi I'm new here and followed all the steps and everything goes well but when I reboot second asks me localhost.localdomain kernel image and password from there that ago?? sorry use google translator

sorry don/t understand the translation . Are you saying it is part of install and asking you to fill in some info like wifi or password ?
freightyard
Testers Group

Junior OwnerJunior Owner

Postby 10507 » 07 May 2013, 03:41

freightyard wrote:or you can do it all in android - pc not absolutely needed
you can extract and zip with root explorer for instance and probably others from play store
and a simple editor to change the files .
pm me your email address if you're really stuck.

Thank freightyard for the quick reply. I think I am OK now. I had a friend edit the files for me.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk HD
Helpful Owner

Junior Owner

Postby darkchaos » 07 May 2013, 05:31

freightyard wrote:
darkchaos wrote:Hi I'm new here and followed all the steps and everything goes well but when I reboot second asks me localhost.localdomain kernel image and password from there that ago?? sorry use google translator

sorry don/t understand the translation . Are you saying it is part of install and asking you to fill in some info like wifi or password ?

ok, follow all the steps and everything right, but when I restart the tablet in second kernel image, the installation runs fine but says: localhost login and password, there is not to do
darkchaos
Junior Owner

Junior Owner

Postby freightyard » 07 May 2013, 05:45

darkchaos wrote:
freightyard wrote:

ok, follow all the steps and everything right, but when I restart the tablet in second kernel image, the installation runs fine but says: localhost login and password, there is not to do

Maybe a bad download of the rootfs or a bad install
You could install again or new download then install - maybe wipe 2nd partition on computer before trying install . If you put the sd card in a linux computer and can see the linux files on it then it means the changes to the installer programs worked and the rootfs is the problem
freightyard
Testers Group

Junior OwnerJunior Owner

Postby kajiggaa » 11 May 2013, 21:46

i partitioned my external sd to 8gb fat32 set as primary and 7.5 gb ext4 set as primary. put both zips on usb flash drive but cant i cannot mount usb in recovery it says error mounting /dev/block/sda1 in sdcard! what am i doing wrong im sooo close yet so far from running lubuntu .. please help me i am stuck
GameboyPi with bodhi linux
kajiggaa
Helpful Owner

Junior Owner

Postby freightyard » 11 May 2013, 21:54

kajiggaa wrote:i partitioned my external sd to 8gb fat32 set as primary and 7.5 gb ext4 set as primary. put both zips on usb flash drive but cant i cannot mount usb in recovery it says error mounting /dev/block/sda1 in sdcard! what am i doing wrong im sooo close yet so far from running lubuntu .. please help me i am stuck

maybe it's the usb flash drive try putting it on the computer and copying everything off of it to a temp location then format it fat 32 and copy the files back on to it
thor recovery is fairly stable so i doubt that's the problem but i think it will only see a usb as fat32
P.S.: if you formatted it with Gparted in linux it could be the problem
freightyard
Testers Group

Junior OwnerJunior Owner

Postby kajiggaa » 11 May 2013, 22:05

freightyard wrote:
kajiggaa wrote:i partitioned my external sd to 8gb fat32 set as primary and 7.5 gb ext4 set as primary. put both zips on usb flash drive but cant i cannot mount usb in recovery it says error mounting /dev/block/sda1 in sdcard! what am i doing wrong im sooo close yet so far from running lubuntu .. please help me i am stuck

maybe it's the usb flash drive try putting it on the computer and copying everything off of it to a temp location then format it fat 32 and copy the files back on to it
thor recovery is fairly stable so i doubt that's the problem but i think it will only see a usb as fat32
P.S.: if you formatted it with Gparted in linux it could be the problem

i used minitool in windows. i am redownloading everything and i formatted my usb flash drive to fat32 :pray: it works
EDIT just tried it after i formated the usb still says error mounting /dev/block/sda1 in sdcard!
can i just install it from internal sd? like i just put rootfs.tar and installer.zip on internal sd??
kajiggaa
Helpful Owner

Junior Owner

Postby kajiggaa » 11 May 2013, 23:06

so i tried to install from external sd instead of usb and i got to see it try n boot up lubuntu but it rebooted in 3 seconds. damn it im soooo close
kajiggaa
Helpful Owner

Junior Owner

Postby freightyard » 11 May 2013, 23:07

kajiggaa wrote:so i tried to install from external sd instead of usb and i got to see it try n boot up lubuntu but it rebooted in 3 seconds. damn it im soooo close

i think it needs to be installed from usb for the installer to see the sd , usb and partitions properly
freightyard
Testers Group

Junior OwnerJunior Owner

Postby datahead » 14 May 2013, 01:12

to ease the process, and for personal use & goal of mine ( for expanding on my introductory programming classes ), i made a little tool in C# to automate unzipping and changing replacing the text in the files, and rezips them up with the modified changes.

since it was made in C#, Windows & the DotNet Framework is needed.

how to use it:
Download 'update_linux_installer-v1.zip' & 'update-kernel.zip' from thors Lubuntu thread.
Download 'DataHeads TextReplacer.zip' - http://www.mediafire.com/?cp7sp20le6c7lt4

unzip 'DataHeads TextReplacer.zip' into its own directory.
place 'update_linux_installer-v1.zip' & 'update-kernel.zip' into the directory of DataHeads TextReplacer
and double click the 'DataHeads TextReplacer.exe' and follow the 'on-screen' instructions

as i said, this was a convenience tool i had made for my personal use, so dont expect fancy gui
datahead
Junior Owner

Junior Owner

Postby darkchaos » 16 May 2013, 09:44

freightyard wrote:
darkchaos wrote:
freightyard wrote:

Maybe a bad download of the rootfs or a bad install
You could install again or new download then install - maybe wipe 2nd partition on computer before trying install . If you put the sd card in a linux computer and can see the linux files on it then it means the changes to the installer programs worked and the rootfs is the problem
thank you sir, download everything again and it worked
darkchaos
Junior Owner

Junior Owner

Postby rickdtweet » 16 Mar 2014, 13:51

Hi, I followed all the steps, downloaded Installer and Kernel from LUbuntu OP and opened with WinRar and edited with Windows stock Notepad, splitted SD in Fat32 and Ext4, both primary with MiniTool as suggested. Put Installer, RootFs with LUbuntu V1, and Kernel (I've checked all MD5) in USB (previously formatted) root. Inserted SD and USB, switched on in Recovery, flashed Installer and Kernel, everything works fine. Reboot, plugin Keyboard, selected booting from second partition and it starts with LUbuntu, but it immediately arrives at telling me "rebooting in 10 seconds..." it reboots but nothing happens. Any ideas? Thanks.

Sent from my Acer A500 via Tapatalk
rickdtweet
Testers Group

Reputation point: 38
Junior Owner

PreviousNext

Return to Acer A500/A501 Linux