Windows 10 procedure to install ADB , Fastboot etc, drivers

Discussion about the Acer A500/A501 (general chat, tips & tricks, Q&A, etc)

Windows 10 procedure to install ADB , Fastboot etc, drivers

Postby freightyard » 31 Jan 2016, 03:14

This is the procedure any time you need to install Unsigned Drivers
The ADB FASTBOOT and APX driver packages for A50x are unsigned for Win8 and newer and this is how you can get around that issue so you can use Win 8/10 to run those through USB connection.
The tablet will work as normal usb storage if plugged in after it is in android as well
In windows 10
Select - Settings
- Update and Security
- Recovery
Under Advanced Startup select - Restart now
As it shuts down you will get new menu selection
Select - Troubleshoot
- Advanced start up
- Startup options
When it reboots select item 7 using F7 key
Win 8 should be very similar procedure but it is untested by me as I never installed Win 8
You will need to follow this procedure after one reboot if you ever need to install additional unsigned drivers in the future
The drivers stick once installed but the Install Unsigned Drivers feature might default back to Not Allowed as soon as windows is rebooted.
Last edited by freightyard on 10 Mar 2016, 14:26, edited 2 times in total.
freightyard
Testers Group

Reputation point: 163
Junior OwnerJunior Owner

Re: Windows 10 procedure to install ADB , Fastboot etc, driv

Postby davistiano » 01 Feb 2016, 03:42

Great tutorial, thanks freightyard!
davistiano
Junior Owner

Reputation point: 0
Junior Owner

Postby mrsvt » 01 Feb 2016, 12:45

You just fixed a lot of upgrading problems!!! Thanks!
mrsvt
Senior Owner

Reputation point: 18
Junior Owner

Postby blenddeh » 10 Dec 2016, 17:28

Hi,

Sorry for replying to an old post. But i am having issues. I am on Windows 10 64bit. I have the A501 on OTA latest ICS update. I followed this tutorial, but sadly i am unable to have the apx driver load. I am not sure if i got the correct driver even :/. I downloaded the driver from blackthund3r's a500 apx flash tool. i entered the apx mode manually. Is there any solution for this? I searched the web but failed to find solution other than this one here.

Thank you in advance.

EDIT;
I have the rooted the device, it is rooted with APX root. which is on ICS 4.0.3, bootloader 0.03.14-ICS. I tried installing Google USB Driver, but it did not work as well. In any case i am still searching for answer to this. my build number is Acer_AV041_A501_1.021.00_WW_GEN1. I have also tried AfterOTA which does not work as well, it just booted into APX mode and then nothing else.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
blenddeh
Junior Owner

Junior Owner

Postby freightyard » 11 Dec 2016, 17:54

are you sure it's rooted properly
download Root Checker basic from play store and check to see if it's rooted
it's free for the basic version
freightyard
Testers Group

Junior OwnerJunior Owner

Postby blenddeh » 12 Dec 2016, 15:50

Hi, thank you for the reply.

I have installed the root checker, and i got a properly rooted from it.
blenddeh
Junior Owner

Junior Owner

Postby freightyard » 12 Dec 2016, 18:13

this one works for most everyone but follow the procedure for unsigned driver installs

https://www.4shared.com/zip/eECDq8PZ/US
I think you also should install thor's twrp recovery and skrilax_z v8 or v9 bootloader as the stock bootloader will be locked and I doubt it wll allow apx mod - not sure about that though
freightyard
Testers Group

Junior OwnerJunior Owner

Postby blenddeh » 14 Dec 2016, 13:44

Hi, i have installed and tried that driver, unfortunately it is still giving the same result. I have decided to try to flash the bootloader by flashing the .bin via nvflash manually, but sadly i don't know how to do so, is there a guide for this? I've search the forum but to no avail. I also think that my a501 might be damaged since it is 4 years old after all. I'll keep you updated. :)
blenddeh
Junior Owner

Junior Owner

Postby freightyard » 14 Dec 2016, 15:22

blenddeh » 14 Dec 2016, 07:44 wrote:Hi, i have installed and tried that driver, unfortunately it is still giving the same result. I have decided to try to flash the bootloader by flashing the .bin via nvflash manually, but sadly i don't know how to do so, is there a guide for this? I've search the forum but to no avail. I also think that my a501 might be damaged since it is 4 years old after all. I'll keep you updated. :)

is the current bootloader stock or an unlocked version ?
when you put the tab in APX mode there should be a blank screen and power button should be lit
It's been a long long time since I was on a stock tablet
What are your intentions on doing this - Installing a custom rom ?
freightyard
Testers Group

Junior OwnerJunior Owner

Postby turnert » 15 Dec 2016, 09:32

Make sure your not pluging in your tablet through a usb hub. If you are it will not install the drivers.
turnert
Junior Owner

Junior Owner

Postby blenddeh » 15 Dec 2016, 10:02

@freightyard
The current bootloader is stock, before entering APX mode i switch the tab off, plug into the pc, then enter APX mode, where the tab's power button is lit and my PC will detect it but with a exclamation sign on it. As in the picture. For my intention, i am trying to install a omnirom 4.4.4 on this tablet, but before that i need to flash the skrilax's bootloader and CWM 6 recovery.

@turnert
No, i don't use usb hub so i am connecting via the microUSB to USB cable. Do i need to use USB to USB cable?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
blenddeh
Junior Owner

Junior Owner

Postby freightyard » 15 Dec 2016, 12:03

Acer_Recovery_Installer.apk
blenddeh » 15 Dec 2016, 04:02 wrote:@freightyard
The current bootloader is stock, before entering APX mode i switch the tab off, plug into the pc, then enter APX mode, where the tab's power button is lit and my PC will detect it but with a exclamation sign on it. As in the picture. For my intention, i am trying to install a omnirom 4.4.4 on this tablet, but before that i need to flash the skrilax's bootloader and CWM 6 recovery.

@turnert
No, i don't use usb hub so i am connecting via the microUSB to USB cable. Do i need to use USB to USB cable?

Looking at your device manager post it's indicating 2 instances of Android ADB devices and both with the error status
you need to uninstall those and the apx driver if it is still showing and reboot windows with driver signature verification turned off - then install the drivers I previously linked to and then connect the tablet in apx mode .

afterota could be used if it works and if you are planning on installing the roms from this site then use the recovery thor built twrp v2b4
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1490
you can install with fastboot flash recovery recovery.img with tablet in fastboot mode
You have to use the micro usb on the tablet not the full size usb
I have attached acer recovery installer but don't know if it works on ics
Last edited by freightyard on 13 Jan 2017, 04:56, edited 1 time in total.
freightyard
Testers Group

Junior OwnerJunior Owner

Postby blenddeh » 16 Dec 2016, 14:07

I followed your instructions twice, and my windows 10 seem dead set on refusing to detect the apx. I'll update you after i partition my harddisk and install the windows 7.
I've tried the acer recovery installer, it doesn't work on stock bootloader. BTW, is there a way to downgrade the bootloader to 0.03.12 from 0.03.14.
Hope it works after all the hard work.

Anyway thanks for the help :)
blenddeh
Junior Owner

Junior Owner

Postby freightyard » 16 Dec 2016, 14:42

blenddeh » 16 Dec 2016, 08:07 wrote:I followed your instructions twice, and my windows 10 seem dead set on refusing to detect the apx. I'll update you after i partition my harddisk and install the windows 7.
I've tried the acer recovery installer, it doesn't work on stock bootloader. BTW, is there a way to downgrade the bootloader to 0.03.12 from 0.03.14.
Hope it works after all the hard work.

Anyway thanks for the help :)

there are euus that will flash the tablet back to stock everything but they require apx mode working
if win 7 doesn't solve it get back with the results
many people prefer to use a live linux to do these type of things - less problems but requires basic programming skills for that route
I've done numerous win 10 flashes as well as others here on this forum and don't have the problems you are having - in all honesty the problem lies with the drivers more than windows due to the obsolescence of the a50x -and not updating the drivers etc. to windows 10
hope you get it sorted and though it's a bit of work - you will also learn a bit from it so all is not lost
freightyard
Testers Group

Junior OwnerJunior Owner

Postby freightyard » 12 Jan 2017, 18:06

Just an update
If you want to have win 10-64 always load unsigned drivers
Open Cmd prompt with admin rights (right click windows icon)
run
Bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON (disables driver signature)
reboot
you will see a watermark bottom right corner showing test mode
to re enable signature signing verification
run
Bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING OFF (enables driver signature verification)
reboot
be aware that installing/loading unsigned drivers means you trust where you got the driver from
If unsure than good idea to set a restore point before installing driver
freightyard
Testers Group

Junior OwnerJunior Owner

Return to Acer A500/A501 Discussion